Study Permit/Visa


As an international student, you will need a study permit/visa regardless of which program you apply for, with the exception of Think Tank Online. In order to apply for a study permit there are a few things you need to do.

  1. Submit an application to Think Tank.
    • To do this please visit our application page.
    • Once you have completed your application you will receive an email from Think Tank letting you know if you have met the requirements for the program. If you have met the requirements you will receive an “offer of admission” email. If you have not met the requirements you will be invited to join our online program or to continue to work on your skills and apply again in the future.
  2. Accept the offer of admission.
    • Once your application to Think Tank has been approved you will need to save your seat. Think Tank has a limited number of seats available and we run on a first come, first served basis. To save your seat you will need to pay a Seat Confirmation deposit of $1000. This deposit is part of your tuition and will be deducted from your first term. To pay the Seat Confirmation deposit you will receive an Invoice from our Accounting Department.
    • After you have paid the seat deposit you will receive your Official Letter Of Acceptance and your Enrollment Contract. You will need these to apply for your study permit.
  3.  Apply for your Study permit.
    • In order to apply for you Study permit please visit the Immigration, Refugees and
      Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. This Website provides all the information on how to apply for a study permit.

* If your Study permit is denied your seat deposit will be refunded upon submission of a refusal letter. Please visit our Tuition page for all refund information.

Required Documents:

For all the Required Documents please visit The IRCC website.

  • Include the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number O19395299578 on your study permit application. (Please note, the first digit in the sequence is the letter “O”, and not a zero.)
Food for thought:

Some countries do not need a visa to travel to Canada! Some only require the study permit. To find out if your country requires a visa please make sure that you read Immigration and Citizenship Canada website thoroughly before applying for your study permit.

Once you have completed the program many students want to stay and participate in our alumni program. Our alumni program is offered as an additional semester of free training to which students can stay and polish up their work. Think Tank is dedicated to your success and will work with you as long as you can extend your study permit. Think Tank does not qualify for Post Graduate Work Permits at this time. You may be able to qualify for other types of work visa, again please refer to the IRCC website.

Renewing Your Study Permit:

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must apply before the expiry date on your study permit. Complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires. Learn More

Getting Your Work Permit:

To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements. Learn More

Planning Your Trip

Congratulations on making it so far, we sincerely anticipate your arrival and artistic input. So now that you are ready to take a trip to Vancouver in Beautiful British Columbia, there are couple of items to consider before landing.

Start planning early, have all your documents ready and make extra copies, get connected with the current students through our social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Vancouver is a relatively expensive city, make sure that you will plan your stay wisely and have enough money saved up to live stress free while at Think Tank Training.

Before You Land:

  • Bring a raincoat and a pair of rainboots
  • Sort out your housing options (be aware of online scammers)
  • Get here at least 2 weeks earlier than your start date to avoid jetlag
  • Pack smartly, bring only what you need to avoid extra luggage fees
  • Book your flight as early as possible
  • Have enough cash for the airport cab ride (between $40 to $60) and the first couple of weeks
  • If you bring more than C$10,000 (or the equivalent in another currency) into Canada, you must declare the amount when you arrive.
  • Prescribed medicine (if applicable)
  • Purchase the right travel insurance

While At The YVR:

  • Smile and be confident
  • Don’t hide anything
  • Follow the officer’s orders and show your documentations

After You Land:

  • Sort out your banking situation with one of the major banks in Canada
  • Get an international credit card to avoid withdrawal limitations
  • Figure out your Medical Insurance
  • Familiarize yourself with the school surroundings

What Not To Bring To Canada:
Avoid bringing any of these items with you to Canada:

  • Feathers
  • Live birds and hatching eggs
  • Eggs, yolks, egg whites
  • Poultry, or any other type of meat
  • Raw pet foods containing poultry products
  • Laboratory material containing poultry products/by-products

For more information please review the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website

Airport to Think Tank Training:
If you are travelling directly to the school from the airport you have two options, to take the Canada Line Skytrain or to get a cab. You could take the Canada Line Skytrain at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) which costs about $8. Upon arrival at Waterfront Station, the Seabus will take you to the North Shore and drop you off within minutes of Think Tank.

NOTE: do not use the student concession tickets as they do not apply to private learning institutions.

You could plan your trip to anywhere that the BC public transit travels to by checking out the Translink website or simply using Google Map’s navigator – Click Here for Directions.

Medical Insurance

BC Medical Insurance is required by law for all students, international as well as Canadians. All students who are not holding Medical Services Plan of B.C (MSP) should apply for it upon arrival and once established a permanent address.

MSP coverage starts three months to activate, in the meantime you could continue using your travel insurance or keep using your previous policy if it covers you internationally or purchase student insurance through Guard.Me or Canada Intercontinental.

Make sure to read all the information and purchase the right type of coverage. All the forms are available online, purchase at least 3 MONTHS of coverage since your MSP will not be in effect for 90 days. In order to complete this process you need to have access to a credit card or PayPal.

Please note, MSP covers your basic needs such as doctor’s appointments, it doesn’t cover vision ro dental. MSP is active as long as your student visa is valid, if you are renewing your visa please make sure to update your documents with the MSP office as well.

Start typing and press Enter to search