Think Tank FAQ’s

What’s the English Proficiency Requirement?

For students whose first language is not English, below are the minimum scores required from any one of the following tests in English proficiency.  We recommend you contact us to discuss language requirements.

  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP-G 2014) is a Canadian English language test for immigration to Canada, Canadian citizenship, and for admission to Canadian universities and colleges. Acceptable level: 6 (for tests taken after April 2014)
  • Equivalent Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB): Score of 6
  • Canadian Academic English Language assessment (CAEL): Overall score of 60
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 75 Internet-based, 210 computer based, or 520 paper based.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): overall score of 6, with a minimum of 5.5 in each section, or proof of completion of a secondary school or post-secondary education program in English, in Canada or abroad.


How do you decide who is accepted?

We strive to find students that display a passion for this field. We require applicants to submit a PORTFOLIO of work to give us an idea of their current level. We are looking for any aptitude for artistic expression. It can be three or four drawings, sculptures, photographs, or even a movie you shot on video.

Your ability to draw is not the most important thing. We can teach you that. We are looking for students that will strive for excellence and be great additions to the school. A good work ethic is essential. In a nutshell, we try and project ahead and decide if you will be job worthy after training. If the answer is yes, you will likely be accepted.

What if I have no examples of my work?

If you currently have no examples of your artwork, you might consider taking some time to create a portfolio before you apply. If you feel this is not an option for you at this time, you can also write an essay reflecting your reasons for wanting to explore this exciting medium. Send us a message and we can help you get your portfolio kick-started.

Remember, there is more to computer graphics than fine art… some of the most influential members of the CG community can barely draw a stick-man!

What should I include in my portfolio for submission?

What we’re trying to determine is your level of aptitude. Don’t let your lack of drawing skill stop you from applying. Show us your ideas and creations in another medium. Paint, sculpture, photographs, short films, 2D and 3D images and models. It all counts when it comes to evaluating your portfolio. Include 5 to 10 examples that show us what you can do. Animations in any medium are great.

Drawings, paintings, and photographs should be 8.5″ x 11″ photocopies or scanned jpgs, colour or black and white.  Save the planet and send us only a link to your online portfolio or Google Drive. Remember if you send a hard copy it will not be returned!

Are there any school breaks?

Between each semester we have a two-week break. There is also a one-week mid-semester break. To find out when these dates fall exactly, please contact administration for a schedule.

Do you supply housing? Is there inexpensive housing close to Think Tank?

No, we do not supply housing.

However, there are plenty of inexpensive housing options nearby the school. Please check our housing page to learn more about your options.

Please remember to ALWAYS take pictures BEFORE and AFTER you move in and out of your place to avoid losing your deposit due to false claims.

I’d like to buy a new computer for home, what do you guys use there?

To run the demanding software required in this industry, you will need a Windows desktop computer with at least a 2.5ghz quad core CPU, 16GB of ram, and 2GB of GPU ram and an NVIDIA or AMD 4GB graphics.

Do you have online training?

Yes, please check out Think Tank Online for more information.

How much is the program for international students?

Please view our Tuition page for more details.

Your tuition includes everything you need to study for the year including books, drawing supplies, a portable hard drive and a Wacom tablet, all yours to keep.

If I am an international student do I need health insurance?

Yes! If you will be studying in B.C. for over six months, you are required to enroll for MSP (Medical Services Plan) immediately upon arrival. Please check our out Medical Insurance section for international students.

What software do you use?

We teach software like Maya, Nuke, ZBrush, Mudbox, Mari, Flash, Photoshop, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, UV Layout, Unreal 4, TopoGun, and a host of peripheral programs.

Do you accept international students?

Yes, we do accept international students. We have had students from all over the world like Brazil, Venezuela, Russia, Sweden, Mexico, USA, India, UK, Israel, South Africa, and many others. To learn more please visit our International Student page.

Do I need a Visa to study in Canada? If so, how do I obtain one?

International students will receive further instructions once they are accepted and they pay their seat deposit. We will prepare an official letter of acceptance that they take to the Canadian Consulate to apply for their Canada Visa and their Canada Study Permit.  International students will also need a passport that is valid for the full term of study.

Learn More Here:

When do the semesters start and how long is each one?

At the moment, we have three intakes a year February, June, and October. There are three semesters in our full-time program and each semester takes four months.

Can I start without any knowledge of 3D?

Yes, it is not necessary to have any prior training. Most people know a little Photoshop or a similar program, but it’s not essential. We start with the basics and take you to the next level.

Do I need to know how to draw to get in the program?

Drawing is a plus but not at all a prerequisite. In fact, we spend a good deal of time teaching drawing and design techniques. Anyone can learn to draw better with a basic understanding of simple principles. That being said, there are many very successful artists working in this field that have very limited drawing skills. Don’t let this hold you back.

What are the program’s credentials?

Think Tank Training Centre Ltd. offers a Diploma program in 3D Computer Animation, Visual Effects and Game Design.

Start typing and press Enter to search